Who doesn’t experience the occasional chocolate craving? I know I sure do! This recipe is a direct result of my sweet tooth cravings. I wanted to make something that tastes indulgent but not something I’d feel bad about eating.
These cups swap out milk chocolate for dark chocolate, peanut butter for almond butter, and adds the best ingredient, date caramel! Date caramel is made by cooking dates, almond milk, vanilla and sea salt together and the result is a gooey caramel consistency and delicious sweetness. I’m not exaggerating but you will want to eat it by the spoonful. I like to suggest that when buying dates you should buy ones with the pit and remove the pits yourself. They tend to be softer and sweeter than pitted dates.
The whole recipe takes under 20 minutes to make and is super simple. I like to store these in the freezer for whenever I do get a chocolate craving and they always hit the spot!
Almond Butter Caramel Cups
- Muffin Tin
- 1/2 Cup Dark Chocolate Chips (I used the brand Lily's)
- 1 Tbsp Coconut Oil
- 6 Tsp Almond Butter
- 4 Medjool Dates (with the pit removed)
- 3 Tbsp Almond Milk
- 1/2 Tsp Vanilla
- Pinch of Sea Salt
- Add the chocolate chips and coconut oil to a small bowl and place in the microwave for 30 seconds. Take the bowl out and stir then place back in the microwave for 30 seconds and take out.
- Next line the muffin tin with 6 cupcake liners. Add a tablespoon of melted chocolate in to the bottom of each liner and brush up the sides about 1/2 an inch. Place the muffin tin into the freezer for 5 minutes for the chocolate to harden.
- In the meantime add the dates, almond milk, vanilla extract, and sea salt to a small saucepan over medium heat. While it cooks smash done the dates with a fork until they soften and it turns into a caramel like texture.
- Finally, take out the muffin tin and add 1 tsp of almond butter and 1 tsp of the date caramel per cup. Top each cup with the remaining melted chocolate and place back in the freezer until they harden.